Question
Posted by: dw | 2012-08-06

undervalued + no meaning = depression

Hi, Im 41 years old, been through 3 different careers and still do not know what I want to do with my life. I need a passion. I have been an oral hygienist, I have a honours in psychology, a field guide level 1 certificate and have been a PA for the last 15 years. I am in a comfort zone where I am now but I am not valued here and there is no meaning for me. My salary is ok, I am comfortable but my self esteem is zero because I do nothing the whole day. My company would not even miss me if I left!! I dont know what to do and have come to a fork in the road as I need to make a decision. This meaninglessness is driving me into depression and affecting my relationships. What path could I take to get more meaning?

Its sad if anyone goes through life after the teenage years, not knowing what they want to do or be. You're obviously intelligent and capable.
And its also clear that everyone needs a sense of meaning and purpose in their life.
Maybe arrange to see a psychologist who can help both by assessing your mental state ( a developing depression, for instance, can cause such a prevailing sense of meaninglessness, and needs treatment in its own right ) ; and also by performing psychological tests that can measure both your aptitudes ( things you're good at ) and interests ( things you'd enjoy doing with such aptitudes ), and helping you with career advice of alternative paths you may find more satisfying. Psychotherapy is a good way to explore, if neecessary after that, more basic issues of meaningfulness of one's way of life.

1