Question
Posted by: Kim | 2010/02/16

Underdeveloped hip

Good day!

My 10month old baby now, was born with an underdeveloped hip. His left leg was completely up to his shoulders when he was born. With this he had a pelvic harness up until 4months of age and is now wearing a rhino walker. At 8months was his last xray and doc said we should come back a month after his walked, then he' d be able to say if we' d need surgery. But his been happy with the progress of the hips thus far. baby is only started crawling, so probably still a while until he walks, but my only concern is when he walks (while i keep his arms), he slightly drags his left foot and it turns inwards. Should we be worried, and should i make an earlier appointment with my doc to have it checked out or is this normal with this condition. With your experience, baby' s that have gone through this, wearing the harness and rhino walker, do they usually have to go for surgery too. I know you won' t be able to give me a diagnosis, just need some advise pls as to what we could possibly expect.
Thank you so much!

Expert ImageOrthopaedic Specialist Forum

Dear Kim,

not having followed the development of your baby adn not ever seeing the X-rays it is not possible to make meaningful comments.

it would be best if you saw the treating specialist for this, which is a very specialised problem as it is

Regards,

Dr Joe de Beer

1
Posted by: Orthopaedic Specialist Forum | 2010/02/18

Dear Kim,

Regards,

Dr Joe de Beer

Reply to Orthopaedic Specialist Forum