Posted by: sue | 2012-08-13

underarm body odour

Hi Doc,

Please help me I am desperate, I have tried every single underarm product there is on the market but nothing is working, in fact it makes the smell even worse.
I am a 32 year old female and on a daily basis the smell from my underarms gets worse, I bath or shower twice a day sometimes 3 times. I do suspect its bacteria inside my body. As soon as my cloths gets slightly moistured under my arms there''s that terrible odour that lingers everywhere. I literally have to buy new tops every other month.

Please advise on what I can do, what to eat what not to eat, is there a product on the market I can take?

Your help will be much appreciated as you an imagine this is affecting my life badly.

The best that I can suggest that you consult a dermatologist for botox injections. This will prevent underarm sweating for at least 6 to 8 months.

Posted by: Tammy | 2012-08-13

I had this same problem, there are just those of us predisposed, whether by hormones or what I don''t know. I cannot eliminate it, but I control it by having zero underarm hair. Not waxing, shaving or depilatories –  I’ m talking laser. I really mean absolutely no hair –  you need to kill the hair follicles altogether. Secondly use men''s underarm deos, which tend to fight odour harder than ladies ones. You can also use roll-ons with crystal in them, these are in any pharm. Try hard to limit strong smelling foods like curries etc from your diet and the usual offenders like garlic. Ours is not a hygiene problem bcz like u I was washing up to 3 times a day. At work I would go and wash my armpits in the loos and reapply roll-on. Some of us just suffer this problem and then ofcourse ppl think it is because we are dirty. Very hurtful… .

Wear cotton clothing as often as you can. I also manage the problem by not wearing clothes which hug the armpits. This is harder in winter I know but do it when you can. I am almost always in sleeveless tops to help keep my pits dry.

There is also a product on the pharm which you apply at night and it blocks the sweat glands all thru the next day. Botoxing the armpits does the same, at a much higher price ofcourse and for a much longer period. With this roll-on you apply at night and wash off in the morning (just with water), you will be totally dry even when sitting in a hot car. No sweat and no odour, because the odour is produced when sweat meets bacteria on the skin. Find a way to eliminate the sweat, if you cannot eliminate bacteria on your skin. The two must not meet.

Get used to never using normal soap on your pits. I only use anti-bacterial soaps. Also, some ppl put some rubbing alcohol on their skin after they shower. It kills bacteria for a sustained period.

Another trick is to shower not bath, Showering literally rinses away more than sitting in a bath does. And ALWAYS end your shower with cool or cold water, about ten seconds of it. Believe it or not, you sweat in a hot shower - so cool your skin down before you get out. Cool it down and close the sweat glands. Else you may not be aware of it, but you get out a shower and are in fact sweating form the hot water - and sweat is the enemy of ppl like you and I. End every shower with a full body rinse of coolish to cold water to close the sweat glands. Try to keep the bathroom steam-free to discourage sweating when you step out the shower. Keeping our skin very cool is a bit part of managing this problem. Do not rub your armpits vigorously while toweling yrself dry –  the friction will activate the sweat glands. Pat dry softly. And remember to save up to laser your armpits, the Pain Free Hair Free System is good and affordable. You need to be as hairless as possible.

I wish you the best and pls remember you are not alone. You have fellow sufferers out here.

Reply to Tammy