Question
Posted by: flower | 2010-06-23

underactive thyroid and want to fall pregnant

hi there

I had my thyroid tested prior to giving birth to my son in 2008 and it was fine. I was diagnosed in 2009 with a very bad underactive thyroid in 2009 after the birth of my son. (tests confirmed this) I take 0.1mg eltroxin or is it 1mg .......i think 0.1 every day and it has literally saved my life and marriage.

My husband and i now want to start to have baby number two, but we have the following concerns?
Will we battle to fall pregnant with me taking eltroxin?
What happens when i do fall pregnant, do i continue taking eltroxin?
How will this affect the pregnancy?
once i find out i am pregnant can i go see my gynae as per normal at 12 weeks or does it change wth this condition?

I had cholestises in my last pregnancy and bleeding from the cervix (unknown reason why) how will this affect the second pregnancy? will it happen again? what are my chances? is it worse in the second pregnancy?

sorry for all the questions, but i would just like to be prepared.

As long as your thyroid function is normal on the Eltroxin, you should not struggle to conceive and the pregnancu should not be affected. You continue taking the Eltrosin through out the pregnancy. With your background you should see your gynaecologist as soon as you are pregnant.
If you really had cholestasis of pregnancy there is a high recurrences rate. It is not worse but all the complications will still be present.

1
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2010-06-27