Question
Posted by: Shell | 2011/11/17

underactive thyroid

Was diagnosed a few weeks ago, started taking uthrox - deffinately feeling better. but an yidea which websites I can look at to advise which foods I should/dhouls not be eating? unless you have some suggestions for me please.
A littla challenging as my son is ADHD and I base a lot of our foods on the feingold diet. Strongly believe in eating healthy, but think I need to improve on this..any suggestions please?
Have a great day!

Dear Shell
I am glad that you are receiving thyroid hormone replacement therapy, which as you say, is already making you feel better. It is important to have regular checkups so that your doctor can adjust the dosage if necessary. Patients with an underactive thyroid usually need to continue with the hormone therapy for the rest of their lives. If you are not overweight, it is not generally necessary to change your diet. All the table salt sold in SA is already iodated, so it is also not necessary to take iodine or kelp supplements, which can in some cases of underactive thyroid make the condition worse, and not better. If you are already eating a well balanced diet then this should be more than adequate.

1

Dear Shell