Question
Posted by: Shelly | 2011/10/11

Under Active Thyroid

HI,

I have and under active thyroid and i am on eltroxin since 2001 I havent picked up weight i have remained the same weight but i have been desperately trying to loose weight, i eat a half a bowl of bran flakes in the morning with a banana and fat free milk, i snack on a half a papaya at about 11, i have one whole grain sandwich with chicken, tomato, lettuc and cucumber at lunch and I snack on a apple or something at about 3 i then eat a protein and veg at night and I excercise 5 times a week but im still fat!

Is there any special diet that one can follow, would you reccomoend a no or low carb diet in order to loose the weight? Or do you think i should consult a dietician to help guide me?

Dear Shelly
The diet you describe should cause some weightloss esp if you combine it with exercise 5 times a week. Patients with hypothyroidism need to have regular medical checkups to ensure that the dosage of their thyroid replacement therapy is still right for them, so I would firstly recommend that you see your medical dr. Discuss your inability to lose weight and ask him/her to check your thyroid hormone levels. If the levels are not in the normal range, the dr will adjust your Eltroxin dosage. Also ask if the dr is of the opinion that you may be suffering from insulin resistance (IR), which is often a factor when patients cannot lose weight. The dr will advise if you need to have tests done to determine if you are insulin resistant or not. If you should be insulin resistant ,then it is essential to consult a registered dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your IR, medications and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on low-fat foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet & Nutrition' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet & Nutrition Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. Regular daily aerobic exercise for at least 30 min per day can also help you to improve your insulin and glucose levels, so make sure that the exercise you are doing is aerobic exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life).

3
Posted by: Shelly | 2011/10/12

Well I tought that what i am putting into my body is good healthy nutritious food and it would cause at least a little weightloss and its very demotivating that nothing is happening :( specifically because i am working hard. I also stopped smoking 7.5 months ago with no difficulty and my body feels more healthy.

Its just i have this back fat, enlarged goiter around my neck, a dunlop tyre around my belly and Im desperate to loose weight but want to do it the healthy way.

I do go for regular Thyroid testing *(every six months) so my thyroid is controlled by my GP but ill definatley look into the insulin resistance thing as my father is type two diebetic and my brother is type 1, so it is a possibility im doomed.

Reply to Shelly
Posted by: Shelly | 2011/10/12

Reply to Shelly

Dear Shelly