Question
Posted by: Bee | 2010/05/18

Under active thyroid

How would I know if I had an under active thyroid gland? Lately I have been extremely tired, get headaches almost every day and have gained in excess of 7 kgs in a year. I have always had a weight problem and three years ago put myself on a diet which was successful. I lost 27 kg''s but it took me three years to lose it. The problem I now have is that I am gaining it back although I am back on my diet and swimming for an hour two nights a week. I seem to think that there maybe something else wrong with me! It is seriously frustrating me because I have thrown out all my fat clothes and have now outgrown the new clothes. I cannot keep going on like this, it is killing me emotionally and making me very irritable and a pain to be around. My husband is already threatening to break my bathroom scale (which I only use once a week). The physical changes that have come with the weight gain are absolutely disgusting, I have fat rolls where I never had any last year! I am 1,67 m tall and weigh a whopping 78kg. Please can you help me!

Hallo Bee
You can test your thyroid with blood tests. Also ask them to check your fasting insulin and blood sugar to exclude insulin resistance, and androgen levels if you have irregular menstruations
dr Bets

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/05/18

Hallo Bee
dr Bets