Question
Posted by: Jade | 2011/02/11

Uncooked Oats

Hi Doc,

I tried having oats (uncooked) soaked in fruit juice over night for breakfast and it was delicious. i have heard though that cooking it reduces the GI ? if i have it uncooked is that bad ? high GI ? I had it with fat free yoghurt.

Dear Jade
The original muesli that was 'invented' in Switzerland, consisted of raw, uncooked oats, grated apple, nuts, honey and milk/yoghurt. So eating oats raw is a well known and tasty way of serving oats for breakfast as you have discovered. Raw oats have an intermediate GI of about 62. Cooking will generally increase the GI to high. Adding the fat-free yoghurt on the other hand will lower the GI of the combination.
Enjoy

1

Dear Jade
Enjoy