Posted by: Worried | 2009-02-24

I have a teenage daughter 17 yrs old, lately she has become uncontrollable. She swears at me and her father (more a me). I have tried to ignore it, but I can' t anymore. As she refuses to go to school, when we wake her in the morning she swears at us and say' s she has her first period off. When I get home at night I have discovered she did not go to school? When I confront her, she, she curses me and wishes that we were dead. I have noticed a change in her behaviour since she has been mixing with certain friends. When I tell she can' t go then she scream and swears at me (I am so embarrassed as the neighbours can hear her carrying on). The things says says are horrible, she even curses my late Dad who was the most wonderful dad and grandfather. Her actions are getting worse every day, and causing conflict between myself and my husband. Tonight she was banging and swearing, when my husband had had enough and gave her slap and her behind. Did she go mad, threating to report us for child abuse, we told her to go ahead. She then stormed into her room and started packing her bag. I did not stop and plead with her, as I have had enough and cannot take anymore. She then left and later sms me to say that she was at her friends house. I told her she has to come home and she has to go to school. She just ignored me. Her father in the meantime had phoned her friend and told him he was not to see her anymore or come to the house. I don' t now what to do anymore, should I contact her school and inform them of the problems I am having with her? Please help I don' t know what to do anymore.

Expert ImageTeen expert

you definitely need to support and assistance and a good place to start would be with the school counsellor if there is one. I would also recommend that if this behaviour persists that you consult with a Child and Adolescent Psychiatrist as with these kinds of behaviours you may need to consider in-patient treatment at an adolescent unit. The psychiatrist can also assess the extent of the problem and also whether there is any kind of substance abuse taking place that may explain her change in behaviour.

Above all your daughter needs to be able to talk with someone about why she is so angry with you as her parents, and for you to gain an undertstanding of why she is behaving this way.

Posted by: liz | 2009-03-05

could be she is using drugs, i was once there before.

check her eyes, does she sleep alot? always on parties?

Reply to liz
Posted by: Pat | 2009-03-04

Hi Worried,

I don' t want to jump to any conclusions here, but it I think she' s started using drugs. You mentioned that she' s changed her circle of friends... Change in behavior......... bunking school... This sounds more seriouse than a terrible teen temper tantrum, and I advise that you seek help immediatly.

Reply to Pat