Posted by: Annoyed and tired | 2011-10-24

Uncontrollable IBS

Hi Doc,

I’ ve been diagnoses with chronic IBS years ago, and I’ ve try to live with it, but recently since Friday, 21/10/11 it’ s been really uncomfortable.

The cramps are so bad that I break out in a sweat, I need to go to the loo about 10min after each meal (I found that toast with oxo stays in a while longer). I’ ve noticed a “ weird”  uncomfortable pain on my right side under my breast, I thought it might be a cracked rib but I can breathe normal without any pain. When I rub my hand over the sensitive area it feels like a little bump under my skin. I also noticed the past few days that almost (as soon as) I open my eyes I need to go.

I’ m also nauseas and I have a ringing sound in my ear since this morning (24/10/11). I’ m also constantly tired.

I’ ve been told that I need to eat more high fibre foods, but that just makes everything worse.

At home I “ don’ t have a problem, but it becomes an issue at the office. It has become so bad that I don’ t even want to eat anything.

Can you please give me some advice?

I suggest that you consult your doctor for an examination and blood tests, as there are other possible causes, other than IBS, that will have to be excluded. IBS is very difficult to treat. Ask your doctor for a referral to a gastroenterologist. For the pain in the upper right quadrant, your doctor will have to do a upper abdominal ultrasound. If the pain is really bad, inform your doctor as soon as possible, as it might be necessary to do a laparoscopy to look inside the stomach to find possible causes for your pain and discomfort.