Question
Posted by: lana | 2008/10/02

uncontrollable cravings after supper

I have been suffering with mad cravings after supper... i' m trying to lose a few kilos but by having these cravings i can' t CONTROL myself...
we eat supper early - about 16h00 or 16h30 and i try not eat again during the evening.
after supper, i satisfy my sweet tooth with a cup of coffee with one sugar. (during the day i don' t drink sugar in my coffee) but it becomes so unbearable. i can' t control it.
i know it' s the reason i don' t lose weight - but while i' m indulging in whatever it is, i feel so guilty and just hate myself more...
is there a " tea"  or something i can do to control it?
like now ... i just ate peanut butter (by the teaspoon) with powedered milo - i feel sick to my stomach thinking of what i did
 ' o(
please advise......................................

Dear Lana
It is not at all surprising that you get hungry if you eat supper so early. Just consider how many hours are going to elapse between your supper at 4 pm or 4.30 pm in the afternoon and the time you get up in the morning. It could well be more than 14 hours! Your blood sugar levels will be at rock bottom and this will influence how much you will eat at all other meals during the rest of the day. If you insist on eating "High tea" instead of a meal at say 6 or 7 pm, then it is important to have a low glycaemic index (GI) snack at about 8 pm (or 1 hour before going to sleep). Have Provitas (low-GI) with fat-free cottage cheese or yoghurt and an apple or an orange with a cup of tea or coffee and fat-free milk for your snack. You can also eat dried fruit like raisins or dates (2 tablespoons) because they will satisfy your cravings for carbohydrate. By adjusting your meal times or having a healthy snack you will manage these cravings.
Starving your body of fuel for long periods will make it demand carbs and the most readily available carbs are sugar and sweets, so rather eat low-GI carbs that will keep your blood sugar and insulin levels steady through the night.

2
Posted by: *B | 2008/10/02

Oh... and what can we do??? Is there anyone to help???

Reply to *B
Posted by: *B | 2008/10/02

OH MY WORD!!!! U sound like me...
Except doll.... I seem to be waaaaaaay worse :(
No sugar in ur coffee?? All day.
U satisfy ur SWEET TOOTH with one sugar??

I take my hat off to u.

I satisfy my sweet tooth with a slab of chocolate on most days... and I usually eat dinner about 3 times :(

Reply to *B