Question
Posted by: angry chich | 2010/08/23

Uncontrollable anger

I am working in a very high stress environment. I have been for four years so I''m pretty used to the dramas all day everyday.
But I have found that I have become very agressive, making rather unpopular with my co-workers. I am middle management and I am expected to ensure that they do their work, but when they don''t do as I ask of them (they seriously do not do their work at all) they won''t respond until I get bitchy towards them. Fair enough but now I find myself getting angrier and nastier far quicker and it''s getting to a point whereby I don''t recognise myself. My family have not noticed as I don''t spend much time there but my best friends do and they dislike my new agression (as they naturally would). I have tried to find another job but am struggling at the moment so how can I sort this out?

Is it impossible for this environment to be rendered less highly stressful ? It is irresponsible for any employer to tolerate a very high stress environment for their workers, and not to try to reduce this. ( If you're getting scorched a work, the first need is to put out the fire, not just to put ointment on the scorch-marks ).
In a high stress drama-filled setting, good people do indeed quite often become aggressive and irritable. If some of the workers you supervise can't be bothered to do their work at all, normal disciplinary measures should be taken, and they should no longer be employed ( here are more than enough good people eager to both get a job AND do the work ). Just getting increasingly annoyed and shouting at them does no good for anyone.
Is there nobody in management senior to you that cares that ehse workers don't work ? Is there nobody in HR or some similar role, who ought to be involved ?
Apart from that, counselling could help you to work on reducing the stress you experience ( to the extent to which this might be possible ) and to cope better with the degree of stress which is unavoidable.

1