Question

Uncontrollable and incurable acne

Hi Dr.

I know you are constantly bothered by acne questions, but I’ m desperate.

I have been on several medication and acne products, from:
Zinc pills, herbal acne pills, acne creams, antibacterial washes… … … . These were all light products. I have also had numerous microdermabrations. Again, it did not work.

Then I went to a doctor who gave me Purbacs DS for 6 months. It did not work. I then went to a Dermatologist who gave me Zinyrit. It did not work. Later he gave me Cyclamisan to be taken with the Zinyrit. Several other medications were tried.

The antibiotics were topical, oral… … … 

I was then told a Chemical peel would help with supporting products. A doctor performed the chemical peel (70%). This only made the acne much worse. The doctor made a big mess of my face and an other doctor told me that I wasted my money and that the doctor who performed my peel does not know what she is doing and more damage was inflicted than bettered. Where can I report this person?

I have almost exhausted all the options. I have been on several antibiotics for more than 3 years. I have since stopped taking any antibiotics for 5 months.

Can you help? What should I do next. I have a very oily skin. I have fair skin. Age 19, male. I have always had acne. It was worse in my senior year.

Dear Anonymous
It sounds to me as if tried all the treatments in the book - however you may need to try Roaccutane now - please see if you can get an appointment with a dermatologist for an evaluation and blood tests to see if you are suitable. My son used it and it really helped a lot.

If you are unhappy with the results of the chemical peel and you have a dermatologist that will confirm that it was not done correctly you can lay a complaint at the Health professional council of South Africa. 012 338 9464

1

Thanks for the advice doc.