Posted by: anon | 2009-03-25

Uncompetitive compulsory medical aids

I am an employee of a large government-owned company, which has a compulsory closed medical aid scheme for all employees. The medical aid is very uncompetitive, offering only two options. The ' cheaper'  option is R950/mth, offering limited day-to-day cover and limited hospital benefits. The other option is R1950, and is more comprehensive, but still falls woefully short of similarly priced options from ' open'  medical aids.

HR tells me that, since it is specified in my contract, I must be a member of this medical aid, with the only options of getting out being joining my spouse' s medical aid (no good as I am single), or resigning.

Do you have any advice as to how I can get off this medical aid?

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

Unofrtunately company's can force you to join the medical aid that they are members of.