Question

Uncomfortable silences....?

I'  m just starting out a new relationship. He'  s always the one to talk and make jokes etc, but sometimes there are these uncomfortable silences cause I can'  t for the life of me think of something to say...! I know it'  s because i feel pressured to say something and then i hit a complete blank...

How can I overcome this? What do I talk about if the silence strikes again? Amongst my friends im very talkative, funny, loud even, but when it comes to him I get blank! I suppose it'  s cause I really like him! I want it to work out but im scared that it won'  t cause he might think im boring...!

Please help

You are probably feeling blank BECAUSE you feel pressured to speak. COmpanionship isn't all about speaking. Maybe you're silent with him rather than when mong your friends, because somehow you convince yourself that saying something to him is more important, and its consequences more vital, than talking to them. Don't make him so excessively important. And if he found you too boring, he wouldn't spend time with you. Enjoy the silences - I think he probably does

5
Posted by: Bozo | 2009/11/27

Dont pretend in front of him.
You are trying to hard to impress him , just be yourself and let him get to know the real you.

Reply to Bozo

Yeah that' s what I am aiming for, to reach that stage where we can be comfortable with each other in silence, but im not gonna get there if he thinks Im boring....

Posted by: Maria | 2009/11/27

True intimacy is when the silences between people become comfortable.

Reply to Maria
Posted by: Garfield | 2009/11/27

Why can there never be silence ... surely it would be rather annoyng if you spoke the whole time?

If you truly want it to work, then relax :-)

Reply to Garfield