Question
Posted by: Patsy | 2008/07/08

Uncomfortable pain in wrist

2 wks ago i took my 15 mth old daughter to the zoo. it involved quite a bit of picking up etc and when i woke up on the sunday morning both my wrists were very sore. I put it down to hurting myself some how the day before. They were also slightly swollen.
The pain in my right wrist has gone away but not the left one. i can use my hand but if i move my wrist/arm from side to side i can hear a clicking sound inside my wrist and its painful. It makes the same sound as when you pull a finger. Not very painful but uncomfortable pain.
A pharmacist said it could be an inflamation and i should just get an anti-inflamatory, but it has been 2 wks now. It I hurt a tendon would it not be better by now? Its also difficult to rest my hand as i am busy all the time. Any suggestions please? I have not taken anything for it yet. I had hoped it would come right by itself. The clicking in my wrist is uncomfortable.
Thanks!

Expert ImageHealthy Bones

Dear Patsy
You have probably hurt yourself with the repetitive picking up and putting down of your baby- this could cause a tendonitis (through overuse of the particular joint/s).
An anti-inflammatory would definitely help the local "inflammation" and obviously rest (I know it is difficult) would too. Maybe you could try some of the Trans Act patches on the wrist itself.
If you still have discomfort after a few weeks, I suggest you see your doctor so that he can have some x-rays and blood tests done if he thinks it is necessary.