Posted by: NB | 2009-09-10

I am a recovered bulimic for 9 months already. I lost alot of weight during the recovering stage but gained it all again. I am 20, current wieght is 49kg. I want to be 45kg or at least 47kg. Please help me!! I gym 2 times a day. I use to eat so healthy- no sweets, no chocolates, no bread or butter and nothing oily ( guess it reminded me of the sick days and I was scared of food) but now, I am scared of not being scared of food. I now eat chocolate on occasions and will eat bread once a month and muffins with butter and oily food- without even thinking of throwing it up. I don' t want to get fat and it seems like Im not loosing weight either.

Dear NB
From what you say, I think that you have not yet recovered mentally from your eating disorder - you are still displaying all the classical symptoms: 1) You think you are fat when you are probably underweight, 2) You feel guilty about eating, 3) You want to be "scared of not being scared of food", 4) You do exercise twice a day. These are all symptoms of anorexia! So if you were assisted by a dietitian or clinical psychologist to get over your bulimia, Please go back to these consultant for help to overcome this new eating disorder. If you did not have professional help, then go for some now otherwise you will Never get back to eating normally and accepting your body image. Please consult a clinical psychologist (they are listed in the Yellow Pages under 'Psychologists' or you can ask your gp to refer you), to help you work out what underlying psychological problems are driving you to self-destruct and to learn most positive ways of dealing with these problems. You should also consult a clinical dietitian to assist you to get back to eating normally again. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. If you are in Gauteng then it may help to contact Tara Hospital as they have an Eating Disorder clinic (phone (011) 783-2010. In Cape Town and environs you can contact the Kenilworth Clinic (021) 797-1400 and in KwaZulu Natal there is Riverview Manor (033) 701-1911, or contact them on:
Go for expert help ASAP.

Posted by: Egg | 2009-09-11

Why are you scared of not being scared of foof anymore? That should actually be a good feeling not to be scared of food anymore and eat what you want and don' t worry about that. I' ve happy for you that you are a recovering bulimic and that you can actually eat without wanting to throw up! Do you know how awesome that is? And the weight you mention does not sound alot at all! You actually sound under weight. For a basic principal take your lenght for example 1.5m. Then for your BMi to be correct you should weight in the region of 50kg. And if you are 1.5m trying to be 45kg then you would be under weight which is also not a good thing. How long have you been training consistantly? And twice a day is not normally a guarentee for losing weight. Your body also needs to be rested.

Good luck.

Reply to Egg
Posted by: Y | 2009-09-11

Interesting that you don' t give your height - I assume this is because you know that if Dietdoc knows that she' ll tell you that you' re already underweight. Unless you' re petite or very short, 49 kg is likely already underweight and you will struggle to loose more weight. I think rather than trying to loose more weight you should go see a psychologist to help you accept your body at it' s normal weight. Btw normal weight and even slightly overweight people tend to be much more attractive than underweight, too thin individuals (especially in the case of woman). And healthwise, normal weight, overweight and even obesity class 1 individuals tend to live longer than underweight people (and are more fertile). Do you really want to loose more weight knowing all this?

Reply to Y