Question
Posted by: Noorie | 2008/10/17

uncomfortable

I am 26 yrs old with a 2 yr old daughter. After I had given birth I went through a phase where I lost alot of weight even though I wasnt breast feeding, now recently I cant stop eating and I have picked up alot of weight. I weigh in at about 48 kg &  my height is 1.5m. I just cant stop eating and this is not helping with my IBS at all. I am so constipated and uncomfortable with myself that I no longer know what to do and this is really becoming a strain. I dont know what to include in my diet to make my IBS easier and how to curb my eating.

Dear Noorie
Despite the fact that you say you have picked up a lot of weight, your present BMI = 21,3 which is actually ideal or a bit lower than ideal for your height. You must have been Very underweight before and I think that the weight gain has been an attempt by your body to get back to normal. I would personally not recommend that you try losing weight at this stage. As regards the IBS, two of the most important factors in IBS are a lack of dietary fibre and stress. To increase your dietary fibre intake and obtain tips about this condition, click on ‘Diet’, ‘You are what you eat’ and “Healthy GI tract’. If you suffer from flatulence and bloating, you will have to experiment with the foods you eat that may cause problems with a spastic colon (raw onions, garlic, cucumber, green peppers, very spicy foods and condiments, gas-cold drinks, fruits that contain pips such as guavas, figs, etc). This is often an individual reaction and you will have to keep a food diary to see what foods cause this problem and then cut them out. If you find that this is a problem for you, please consult a clinical dietitian who will work out a specific diet for your condition. (Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). Your doctor will also be able to prescribe medicines which can relieve the flatulence such as Bevispas, so chat to your doctor about such medications.
To relieve stress I would recommend that you should learn relaxing techniques, how to do deep breathing exercises and some form of physical exercise which is also relaxing, such as yoga. Going for brisk walks in the fresh air also helps to relieve tension.

1
Posted by: B Complex | 2008/10/17

Please!!! I have found so much useful information on the health24 site with regards to this specific issue! The reason why you are eating so much is due to your IBS and the fact that you are constipated. The more constipated you are, the more you will be craving for food.

Something that might help, is Senekot' s High-Fibre (Schedule 0). It is safe to use and and 1 packet in the morning and 1 at night will help. You will be able to even buy it at Spar. However, this should not be taken for a long period - only for 3-4 days. Remember to drink plenty of water (min 2 litres per day or 1 glass every hour) and eat lots of fruit, e.g. peaches, apples, mangoes, etc - if possible, do not remove the skin). Fruit contains a lot of fibre A breakfast cereal that' s also excellent, is WeetBix. Also try dried prunes.

Reply to B Complex