Posted by: Mommy | 2009-08-18

unborn baby survival question

I have been reading about pregnant, in one case, 8 month pregnant, women dying from swine flu and today a 7 month pregnant woman dying after being bludgeoned to death. I just want to know, does a baby who is unborn but who is old enough to be born, die when the mother dies. I realise it might be an obvious question, but I constantly wonder if there was a chance that child could be saved. Maybe you can shed some light on this. Thank you

The baby would die with the mother unless a caesarean is done within 5 - 8 minutes.

Posted by: CTMOM | 2009-08-19

If the baby is taken out as quickly as possible by c section, he/she has a good chance of surviving, But as far as I know, it needs to be within in minutes of the mothers heart stopping, I heard of a mothers body being kept alive artificially for weeks till the baby was strong enough to be born safely.

Reply to CTMOM