Posted by: jolene | 2009-02-04

Unblocked tubes / SEVERE ENDO

Dear Dr

had an op last year due to severe endo. the specialist confirmed my tubes are definately open. he also put 2 stiches in. had previous failed ivf cycles due to poor egg quality which do not fertilize further after 2 cell division. he confirmed that there' s a possibility I could fall pregnant naturally. How is this possible to maybe fall pregnant if you have an egg problem, and it did not even happen the ivf route. My husbands results are all normal.

Please advise

Dear Jolene

The best chances of conception with IVF are 40% and because you have not fallen pregnant do not mean that there is always going to be a problem. We are aware of many patients that have not succeeded with IVF and have fallen pregnant spontaneously so do not give up hope on that particular route. However it is a known fact that severe endometriosis does contribute to poor quality eggs and therefore poor quality embryos. So there is always a possibility that you may be able to fall pregnant naturally however depending on your age and the length of time that you are trying to fall pregnant your best bet would still be IVF.

Answered by: Dr Y. M. Dasoo