Question
Posted by: Exhausted | 2012/09/19

Unappreciated

I''m in a relationship with a lady whom I have a child with. However we each have kids from previous relationships. I have a good relationship with my daughter''s mother, whereas she has a bitter relationship with her baby daddy. She expects me to play a daddy role to her child and always complains that she doesn''t see me doing that but I take her child to activities including school''s ones. Her child doesn''t have respect for me, he doesn''t respect me and when I raise the issue with the mother asking her to teach him about respect unto other people, she does accept that is a problem instead she says I should leave his child alone and focus on mine because. But she expect me to be part of her child''s life. What do I do?

JUst like the story in a neighbouring posting, your lady needs to be more realistic in what she expects, and needs to make it clear to her child that she expects her to show you respect and affection, and to model this by doing so herself, too. Think of couples counselling, to help you both plan how best both to get on with each other, and how to create a more healthy and helpful environment and discipline system for the children

1