Question
Posted by: Concerned Mom | 2012/03/20

Unacceptable professional services

Hi CS

You will remember me as the mom whose daughter had severe post natal pshycosis early last year, and was then readmitted again with followon depression. She is bipolar II. Well, we are walking the road again! She has been admitted again into a pshyciatic facility, and has really struggled to get to grips with the demons that are raging within her mind.

After having been thre for 2 weeks, and making - albeit slow - progress, she suddenly had a major depressive episode, which just spiralled out of controll, to the point of very real suicide thoughts and planning on her part.

By the grace of God, her pshyciatrist somehow determined that she was not being administered her AD''s which were prescribed. This for 4 days!

This has left us as her parents, angered and shocked. The response was a mere " oh sorry" . What would have happened if she''d hung herself as a result of what I believe to be negligence on their part? O shuder to think. I feel very strongly that this is something which needs to be reported, but simply don''t know where or who to go to. Is it something which should be reported? I''m just afraid of causing a problem in that should she need readmission, they will refuse her, labeling her a " trouble maker" . I''d appreciate your guidance and professional opinion.

If the nurses were not administering to a patient drugs which had been prescribed, that is really bad unprofessional behaviour, and should be reported to the hospital administration for discipline of the sloppy nurses, and perhaps also to the Nursing Council. It is such bad nurses who are "trouble makers", not relatives who complain of dangerously sub-standard care.

1