Question
Posted by: dave | 2010/06/16

Unable to sustain hard errection

Hi there,

I can easily get an errection and have it remain errect for hours no problems at all. The problem I have is when I actually go to masturbate that my errection slowly dies off in hardness. If I stop for a second it will get a hard again. Basically it''s still errect but not that hard full errection i can maintian without touching it. What could this be? could it be heart problems?

Dear Dave

Erectile problems may occur for a number of possible reasons, the most problematic of all could be serious health issues. It seems that you have no trouble at all in getting an erection but that it is not maintained with masturbation.

It is worth excluding serious physcial problems (this could include cardiovascular difficulties - so don't mess with this, have a physical check up!)

If all is well on the physical front, erectile problems may be explained by a psychological block - e.g. fear of sexual failure/poor performance (e.g. losing erection, ejaculating too quickly, partner is not orgasmic or has pain during sex); anger at partner. Psychological factors like this essentially block the normal working of the sexual response and can be addressed through couple work with an experienced professional.
Another possible reason, which may be happening in your situation, is that you may be losing focus on the sensations and starting to worry more about performance (staying hard). When you do this, you start to 'watch' yourself & how you are 'doing', you block your sexual response and are likely to loose your erection. The best way to address this is to take time to refocus on the sensations in your penis/body during sex/stimulation and just going with the flow. If this doesn't help, you can always consider one of the modern medications available, but this does require going to a doctor to get a prescription...

5
Posted by: Johnny Bravo | 2010/06/17

Dont you wanna stick to sex?

Reply to Johnny Bravo
Posted by: Benito Mussolini | 2010/06/17

It''s all in the mind my friend, when making love you must forget about all you problems and focus on the job at hand. Because there are no emotion involved with musturbation it becomes difficult to maintain a hard erection

Reply to Benito Mussolini
Posted by: Dave | 2010/06/17

Early 20''s and normal blood pressure.

Reply to Dave
Posted by: sexologist | 2010/06/17

Dear Dave

Reply to sexologist
Posted by: steve | 2010/06/16

Dave - Your age and medical condition such as Blood pressure etc are important to the answer to this question

Reply to steve