Posted by: SALLY B | 2009-01-16

unable to loose weight

My wife of 61 is slowly putting on weight although she is very careful of what she eats, she exercises daily &  has had her insulin resistance and matabolism checked of which both are fine.this is making her very depressed and needs some good and helpful advise.

Dear Sally B
Inability to lose weight can be due to a variety of factors - some physical ones such as insulin resistance and thyroid deficiency (which in your wife's case can be ruled out) and some psychological ones of which depression is the main factor. If this is a possible cause then I would recommend that your wife should consult a psychiatrist for medication and a clinical psychologist for psychotherapy. It may also help her to use a an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet) in conjunction with her exercise. You don't mention what type of exercise your wife does, but so-called aerobic or cardio exercise (brisk walking, swimming, cycling, skipping, rowing, treadmill jogging, etc) is more effective for weightloss than static exercises with weights.