Question

Ultrasound

I went for a medical recently. am 46 y/old male, and would not allow a prostate exam,it creeps me out, they then sent me for a pelvic ultrasound, and they shaved off all my pubic hair, and did the ultrasound in that region, now I wonder if they were trying to teach me a lesson for not submiitting to the finger, because haw can they see the prostate from there, and why do they need to shave you bald.

Hallo Anon
No, please don't worry, they can definitely see the prostate with a sonar, but the sonar probe must make 100% contact with your skin, and that is the reason why they needed to shave the hair. The patient's feelings need to be respected and I don't think you will be penalized for not allowing the physical examination. The prostate examination however is quite important as a combination of the digital rectal examination plus the blood test is 99% sensitive to pick up prostate cancer. Some doctors want patients to stand on their elbows and knees for the examination, which is very undignified. I think if a patient lies on his side with knees pulled up to the stomach and covered with a sheet, the exam is less embarassing. The exam takes less than a minute, so it is over quickly...Guidelines suggest that men start having the exam from 50 years unless they have suspicious symptoms

1
Posted by: Cyberdoc | 2010/07/07

Hallo Anon