Posted by: Char | 2009-05-11

Ulcerative Collittis

I was diagnosed with above in Oct last year and had a flare up now again.My doctor did put me on all kind of medicine and anti biotics. However what I would like to know is everytime my blood results shows a viral infection is this part of the collitis or is there something else that is wrong. Also how can I prevent Collitis in flaring up again as it is extremely painful. Thanks

Dear Char
There are no blood results that are specific for a viral infection unless you test for antibodies - a full blood count can give you an indication but is not specific for viral infection. Ulcerative colitis is a chronic disease and you will get flare ups from time to time, there is not much you can do to prevent it except use the medicine as prescribed. Are you with a specialist gastroenterologist?
See also