Question
Posted by: Dawid Hollenbach | 2009/12/02

Ulcerative Colitis and Malaria

We are going to the Kruger Park over the December holidays and my wife is on medication (Asacol and Zaprine) for Ulceritave Colitis. Her Condition is completley under control and she did not have a relapse in more that a year. My question is what malaria tablets can she take. I would also like to give my kids these tablets as well. The one is 6 years old and the other is 3 years old

I hope you will be bale to help me.

Dawid

Hallo Dawid
I think the safest would be Malanil, taken once daily with food starting two days before arrival and continuing through the trip and for seven days after departure. Side-effects, which are typically mild, may include abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, headache, diarrhea, or dizziness. Serious side effects are rare. For children, the dosage is 3/4 pediatric pill each day for those weighing 8-10 kg, one pediatric pill daily for those weighing 10-20 kg, two pediatric pills daily for those weighing 20-30 kg, and three pediatric pills daily for those weighing 30-40 kg. Children weighing more than 40 kg (88 pounds) should be given the adult dosage. Malarone is not recommended for use in pregnant or lactating women, in children weighing less than 5 kg (11 pounds), or in those with renal insufficiency. It is slightly more expensive than the other anti malarials but is easier (and shorter) to take and has less side effects.

1
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2009/12/02

Hallo Dawid

Reply to cyberdoc