Posted by: Amore | 2009-02-17

Ulcerative Colitis &  pregnancy

I was diagnozed with UC two years ago just after the birth of my daughter. I have been in remission for the last year (I am currently on a clinical trail for new drugs). It was quite bad those beginning months with me ending in the hospital. We want to start planning for baby nr 2 next year, but all the drugs I am using is worrying me quite a bit. I am taking 800mg asacol 3 times a day (luckily no cortizone at the moment) and then of course the montly drip for the clinical trial. Obviously I will be off the drip by the time I decide to try for the new baby, but I' m worried about the asacol. Will I be able to use it still while pregnant, wont it be harmfull to my baby? And then I also want to know whether I' ll be able to breastfeed too? I also take a daily probiotic (reteri), multivitamins, flaxseedoil and calcium to keep me heathy. Will any of these be at all harmfull to the baby? Thank you!

Expert ImageArchive

Hi there Amore

Asacol is an antiinflammatory medication (as is cortisone).

The manufactures indicate that this medication can be used in pregancy, but, as it will pass through into the breast milk, it is contraindicated while breast feeding.

My personal opinion is that any medication should definately be avoided for 3 months prior to falling pregnant and then definitely during the first trimester of pregnancy, if possible the first 2 trimesters and, first prize, not at all during pregnancy.

If, of course, the medical condition that is being treated presents a significant risk to the mothers well being the use of the medication has to be weighed up against mother and baby's health.

Posted by: Ang | 2009-02-18

Hi Amore

I would like to get in contact with you.
My two year old son had been diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis, and could use any advice possible.

On the supplements, I also took a calcium supplement and probiotics when I was pregnant, so I am sure it will be fine !

Reply to Ang