Question

ulcerative colitis

someone very close to me has been diagnosed with ulcerative colitis. are there any diet changes that she needs to make in order to live well despite her illness? she is in her fifties, young and loves life, food, socialising. Will this disease affect all that?

Dear Reader
Ulcerative colitis can be a rather unpleasant condition that needs to be monitored by your friend's dr (preferably a gastroenterologist) and a clinical dietitian. Advise your friend to visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.absa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will have to work out an individual diet prescription for your friend that take her condition, the phase it is in (during flare-ups the diet needs to be changed considerably), any medications she may be taking, and her food preferences into account. This is not something I can do for her over the Internet. Do a Search on the Health24 site with 'Ulcerative colitis' to read more about this condition.