Posted by: Ang | 2009-02-18

Ulcerative Colitis

My two year old son was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis about two weeks ago. For the past 6 weeks he has been complaining of his eyes either hurting, or being sensitive to light.
Is there anything we can do for him, as I have read that this disease can cause such problems in the eyes.
Currently he is on antiinfmalatory pills, omega supplements and iron supplements.

Hallo Ang
Sorry to hear this - rather let your doctor have a look, it may or may not be UC related, he may have pink eyes (viral infection) or need cortisone drops for the eyes if it is a conjunctivitis due to the UC

Posted by: callyboo | 2009-02-19

Hi Ang,
I' m so sorry to hear about your little one being diagnosed with UC. I' ve had Crohns Disease (very similar to UC) for 7 years now, and it isn' t fun.
I would strongly suggest that you find a local support group. If you are in gauteng, there is a very good one run by a married couple, they used to hold meetings at the Olivedale clinic.
The best way to get hold of them is probably to just google for crohns and colitis support groups in sa.
I wish you the best.

Reply to callyboo