Posted by: Ang | 2009-02-18

Ulcerative Colitis

My two year old son was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis about two weeks ago. For the past 6 weeks he has been complaining of his eyes either hurting, or being sensitive to light.
Is there anything we can do for him, as I have read that this disease can cause such problems in the eyes.
Currently he is on antiinfmalatory pills, omega supplements and iron supplements.

Expert ImagePharmacist

Most eye conditions will improve when progress is made in treating the underlying UC, but some may require treatment. However, his symptoms may indicate uveitis, which is is common with UC and will require treatment with a prescription eye drop to prevent damage - I suggest making an appointment with an ophthalmologist.