Posted by: Gavin Huart | 2009-10-09

Ulcer and upset stomach lining.

I am on a drug to help with a gastric ulcer. Recently, unbeknown to me, I' d taken an overdose of anti-inflamitories as directed by an inexperienced chemist. The anti-inflamitories were for a throat infection. My doctor says I have shredded my stomach lining. I am drinking lots of milk and eating Marie biscuits. What else can I eat that won' t upset my stomach until the lining has healed. Thanks in advance.

Dear Gavin
I am sorry to hear that you have a gastric ulcer. Your medication which I presume consists of proton pump inhibitors like Losec and possibly also antacids, will help at great deal. You can eat a bland diet consisting of milk and dairy products such as yoghurt and cottage cheese, cooked or canned vegetables and fruits, lean minced meat, steamed fish, eggs (scrambled or poached) and white bread and bland cereals such as oats or Creamy meal. The idea is to avoid all irritants, but particularly alcohol, gas cold drinks, spices, excess intakes of coffee or tea (1 or 2 cups a day with plenty of milk can usually be tolerated), all condiments (mustard, chilli, etc) and all fatty foods, foods that cause a buildup of gas (raw onions, garlic, the cabbage family) and any foods that you specifically react to. If you find it difficult to sort out what to eat, then it may be a good idea to consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), so that the dietitian can work out a specific diet prescription which avoids those foods you react to.
Getting plenty of rest and relaxation also helps the body to heal.
I hope you soon feel much better.