Question
Posted by: Phira | 2010-02-06

Ulcer

I want to loose wait, but i have ulcer problem and atraitis so i eat medication all the time, but i' m getting too fat and now i have a very low self-esteem.

Dear Phira
I am sorry to hear that you have an ulcer and what I presume is gastritis ? You first need to sort out these medical problems BEFORE you can start losing weight because going on a slimming diet could make the ulcers worse. Click on 'Diet' at the top of this page to access the 'Diet section of the Health24 site' and then on 'DietDoc's articles' and read article 195 on 'GASTRO-OESOPHAGEAL REFLUX DISEASE (GORD) & DIET'. In general here are some pointers regarding excess acid production: Heartburn, acid reflux, ulcers and gastritis, are caused by excess acid production in the stomach and if the patient has food in the stomach this gives the acid something it can work on instead of attacking the stomach lining. In fact, the use of 6 smaller meals a day is a good idea when suffering from ulcers or gastritis because this would mean that the patient practically always has some food in her stomach to prevent acid erosion. You should split up your main meals into 2 smaller meals each. One of the most important factors in excess acid production and ulcers is stress. If you suffer from ulcers, you will have to experiment with the foods you eat that may cause problems (raw onions, garlic, cucumber, green peppers, very spicy foods and condiments, gas-cold drinks, very fatty foods, etc and all alcohol). This is often an individual reaction and you will have to keep a food diary to see what foods cause this problem and then cut them out. If you find that this is too difficult, then please consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), who will help you pinpoint trigger foods and work out a diet that avoids them. To relieve stress I would recommend that you should learn relaxing techniques, how to do deep breathing exercises and some form of physical exercise which is also relaxing, such as yoga. Going for brisk walks in the fresh air also helps to relieve tension. If you do consult a dietitian, please discuss weightloss with her/him so that she/he can advise when you can start with a slimming diet.

1
Posted by: DietDoc | 2010-02-07

Dear Phira