Posted by: Mc D | 2010-07-08

UIF / Pay for day off

Good Day

First of all i was employed at my work first for 3 months after which I got another 3 month contract and then i did not recieve a contract again my questions:
I was at the local clinic to get a tetanus injection and they gave me a note and my boss refused to pay me is that cause i dont have a contract of employment?
No UIF gets deducted from my pay is that cause i dont have a contract?
I think because i dont have a contract and have been working here for almost seven months, that means i dont have any rights. Could you please help me to see what my rights are and if i can ask my boss to deduct UIF from my pay, i earn R800.00 a week.

Thank you,
Mc Donald

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

Whether you have a contract or not UIF had to be deducted. It is the employers responsibility. You must go down to the Department of Labour and make an appointment with them and insist that you get the proper deductions off your salary.

Posted by: mc D | 2010-07-12

Thanks for your reply purple. the boss feels its much better to employ contract employees rather then permanentl employees. my contract did not get renewed but i am still working there i have not been dismissed and he is happy with my work. i just have a problem with the sickleave, annual leave and UIF issue at this moment i want to talk to him but am scared I''ll get fired and i have a family to care for.

Mc D

Reply to mc D
Posted by: Purple | 2010-07-08

You''re working for an unethical company. Some people think that if they don''t give you a contract that you have no rights, but this is not true, the basic conditions of employment and the labour relations act etc are all still applicable to you. Whether you are a permanent employee or a contractor or a casual or whatever term they use to describe you, you are also still protected by these laws.

If they did not renew your contract the second time, this is like dismissing you, they should have told you that it wasn''t being renewed again.
Why did they renew it again, had you not finished the project or did the underestimat the time frame, or did they just put you on contract to avoid paying you the benefits their perm employees get, like pension and medical aid?

They are supposed to pay UIF over for you and deduct 1% from your salary.

Reply to Purple