Question
Posted by: Jingles | 2011/02/02

UIF

Good Day

I have been working for this company for 5 months and its in the private sector. I am basically the delivery driver for the company and work from 8 - 5 and 2 saterdays per month. I am not registered for UIF the boss does not deduct it from our salaries nor do I contribute to the fund. What should i do in a situation like this. AS far as I am concerned its permanent employment. I am afriad to talk to my boss cause he likes to tel me if Im not happy I should take a hike so what can I do if he fires me if I ask him to register us for UIF?

Please advice
Jingles.

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

re: UIF

You have to be registered for UIF. You must report this to the Department of Labour. You are in fact a permanent employee.

If your boss wishes to dismiss you because you have claimed to be registered for UIF then that would be an unfair dismissal.

3
Posted by: Labour Lawyer | 2011/02/15

re: UIF

Reply to Labour Lawyer
Posted by: Boetie | 2011/02/05

By law the employer MUST deduct UIF money + pay it over. If anything should happen + U loose your job then U can claim unemployment, but only if a contribution was paid in on your behalf. It''s your right to be protected by UIF + all the staff should be. U guys must all stand together + confront the employer. He can''t fire U for this so stand together + demand your rights. Remember it''s not so easy to fire people nowadays anymore. The labour dept. is very strict about this. Good luck.

Reply to Boetie
Posted by: pixie | 2011/02/03

Hi Jingles
Your employer is legally obligated to register all employees for UIF and to pay your 1% contribution plus the 1% company contribution across the the uif fund. Only employees that work less than 27 hours a month and those who earn only commission do not pay uif.
Also, all employees are now required to be registered as taxpayer regardless of whether they earn enough to pay tax. It is just for SARS to monitor all companies. If you are earning in excess of (I think it is about R57000 per year) then he needs to deduct tax from salaries and also pay this across to sars.
There could be severe legal implications for the company if he doesn''t.

Reply to pixie