Posted by: roline | 2011-10-13

We will be travelling to the UAE shortly - we are taking our 18month old with. To make sure we do not run into problems in a foreign country - I would like to take most of his paediatric medicines with me (ie cough syrup / fever meds / allergy meds / diarrhoea meds). could this cause problems at the airports?

Expert ImageTravel expert

Dear Roline,

As long as bottles are no larger than 100mls and keep all in Zip lock bag ie clear plastic. There should not be a problem.

Get a letter from your GP stating how long you stay will be,What medicines are being taken, for what. Letter must clearly state these medicines are for personal use and not for resale and the letter should have his clinic stamp on. Keep all medicines in original packaging. Aterax syrup is good for sedation!

Enjoy the trip!

Posted by: roline | 2011-11-02

Thank you, both, for comments. One last question...would be advisable to take a " general"  antibiotic with for baby? my child is prone to respatory tract infections and gastro when teething and he gets very sick very quickly. we are currently waiting for the molars and the eye teeth to make their appearance and know that these, especially, can cause children to get quite sick. and this might happen precisely in the time that we will be in the UAE.

Reply to roline
Posted by: Alex | 2011-10-18

You can tae medicine larger than 100ml in your check-in luggage. Take a script with you for any prescription medication.
Codine is banned in the UAE. They have medicine for all the conditions you name. And much cheaper than here in SA.

Reply to Alex