Question
Posted by: nimmi | 2008/07/11

tyroid problem

hello doctor, how are you? im nimmi from malaysia. since 4 years im facing tyroid problem, under control and i dont have any pain but the tyroid getting big and not much and my blood result is positive and show that im normal. finally one of the specialist find out that and im taking medicine the problem is im purely vegetarian girl and i cant eat non vege so kindly please mail me some tips about vegetables for tyroid illness......thank you i will wait for your reply...

Dear Nimmi
So good to hear from someone living in Malaysia. I am sorry to hear that you suffer from thyroid problems. I surmise that your thyroid is getting bigger and that this is due to either an iodine deficiency or an autoimmune reaction. What does your dr say? And what kind of treatment is the dr giving you? In some cases you may need an operation, while in others you just have to take thyroid hormone replacement therapy. Please ask the dr what treatment he advises. If your thyroid problem is due to an iodine deficiency then you should buy "iodised salt" which is probably available in Malaysia and use this salt to cook with and to use on your food in moderate amounts. Some vegetables like broccoli are also rich in iodine, but the iodine content of plant foods depends on the iodine content of the soil they are grown on and some regions of the world have iodine-deficient soil, so you may not be getting enough iodine from your food. Plant foods that are grown near the sea have a higher iodine content that those grown inland.
Hope this helps

2
Posted by: nimmi | 2008/07/14

thank you doctor for your reply. my dr said that i no need do operation because its does not bring any effect and meanwhile theeir provide some medicine to increase the hormone. so if i still have any doubt i will mail to you again...thank you

Reply to nimmi
Posted by: nimmi | 2008/07/14

Reply to nimmi