Posted by: Erika | 2013-02-14

Type 2 Diabetes and over weight

Can I follow the " Slimming Diet"  when I''m over weight and type 2 Diabetes? I need to loose 25kg.

Dear Erika
As I just mentioned to Ann (see other posting for today), you need to first consult a registered dietitian if you have type 2 diabetes (or insulin resistance), if you are overweight or not. I shall repeat what I have said to Ann:"It is essential for anyone with insulin resistance (IR) to consult a registered dietitian, because the correct diet is one of the most important factors in treatment. Visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area. The dietitian will take your type 2 diabetes and IR, medications and other conditions such as overweight, into account when working out a diet for you, which will be based on low-fat foods with a low glycaemic index (GI). Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The Glycaemic Index' and read the articles on the GI. Also click on ‘Food as Medicine' on the Diet Site and then on ‘Type 2 diabetes’. Regular daily aerobic exercise for at least 30 min per day can also help you to improve your insulin and glucose levels, so start doing an aerobic exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life). However, Please discuss the use of exercise with your physician and do NOT start doing exercise unless the doctor has approved the type of exercise you intend doing and has given his/her permission." Use of a low-fat, low-GI diet and exercise will help you lose weight and improve your blood glucose and insulin levels.