Question
Posted by: Concerned | 2011/02/13

Type 1 diabetes

My father has been diagnosed with type1 diabetes and he used the insulin injections for a few months and now stopped. He says the dr said it is not working and it was only on a trial basis and he must only take glucophage. That does not make sense to me. Doesn''t he need insulin if he has type 1 diabetes?

Adult onset of diabetes is usually type 2 diabetes that can be controlled by using only oral medication but in some cases, if the diabetes is not well controlled, you can add long acting subcutaneous insulin injections. I really doubt that he has type 1 diabetes. Consult your father's doctor for an explanation.