Question
Posted by: Purple | 2010/07/10

tying tubes

I would like to have my tubes tied after I have my next baby (baby number two). I''ll be 36 by then.

Although I make it my business to be as well informed as possible about most things, this is something I''ve just never thought much about before as I''ve always thought of myself as young and haven''t actually given it a thought.

I know obviously that your periods stop, but what actually happens to those eggs that are still there waiting to be released each month, do the ovaries just reabsorb them or do you end up with loads of cysts on your ovaries or does your body stop producing the hormones that are required to stimulate the release of eggs in the first place (sorry I don''t remember my std 9 biology that well, I think it was follicle stimulating hormone - FSH or something like that).

What about menopause, how do you tell then that you are going through it? As your periods have stopped, do you just have to wait till you start feeling grumpy and hormonal and like a moody teenager again? Or are you considered menopausal after sterilisation because your periods have stopped?

Is there a book or something you could reccomend for me to read up on this?

The eggs are released as before and absorbed by the body.Your periods do not stop. Everything goes on as before except that the eggs and the sperm cannot meet. Have a look at your local library. I am sure there are many books on biology there.

1