Question
Posted by: Boerboel Owner | 2010-01-20

Two or three dogs?

Hi people I am looking for your opinions please. I had three dogs and lost one of them to tick bite fever on New year`s Eve. I`m left with an 18 month old male Boerboel and a 16 month old female GSD. The one that died was a xbreed boerboel and she was 3yrs old. She was the GSD`s playmate as all the Boerboel wants to do is eat and sleep and nothing else. Even when we are out for walks he does not do much running around he is just content with walking next to me while the GSD goes wild. Now having had three dogs I`m a bit unsure initially I thought I would get another dog especially a dog that can keep up with the GSD as she sometimes tries to coax the BB into playing only for him to snap at her. As it is I`m unsure whether to get another dog to play with the GSD or leave things as is. Your opinions are most welcome.

Dear Boerboel Owner

I would go for another dog.

3
Posted by: Cybervet | 2010-01-21

Dear Boerboel Owner

I would go for another dog.

Reply to Cybervet
Posted by: Chill | 2010-01-20

Yea - wait and see what happens - introducing another dog will probably work fine, but the dynamics will definitely change, and depending on how relatively dominant/submissive they all are, you could also end up with a problem.

As Steph said, a rescue place would be ideal, both from a moral point of view, and also because they suss out their dogs, and will probably be able to tell you if your selection is good with other dogs or not.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: steph | 2010-01-20

if you feel you need a new mate for your dog, why not try the local SPCA there are loads of dogs there who would like a home, and maybe you can find a good playmate for the GSD. why not try for a few more weeks and see how the GSD does, I think there must be some adjustment for the dogs when they lose part of their pack?

Reply to steph