Question
Posted by: Vanessa | 2011-05-17

Two male Jack Russells fighting

I have two Jack Russell males, one neutered and one not. They have all of a sudden started to fight each other and yesterday they really hurt each other badly. I want to know if getting the other one neutered will help with the problem? The fighting only started over the weekend so it is not an ongoing thing. I really don''t want to get rid of one of them. Any advise would be really helpful!

Expert ImageDog Behaviour Expert

Hi Vanessa, sometimes it works having one intact and the other not, but personally i prefer to have both neutered. It could well be that they have reached the age where hierarchy is important and are challanging for position. It could also be that something happened to increase tension levels and the fight was the result of same. It could also be happening due to your interaction with them. Difficult to pinpoint without full background. What i am very pleased about is that you have realized that you have a 'delicate' situation on your hands and are trying to take steps to remedy same immediately -well done! I believe that all fighting needs the help of a professional as it so quickly increases and the quicker this type of behaviour is nipped in the bud the better! I would suggest speaking to your vet, having the dog neutered and then if the behaviour continues, consult a professional. What does occur when a dog is neutered is that, depending on the dogs age, it can take between 6 - 12 weeks for the testerone levels to drop. I would recommend that you phone a behaviourist and ask for help. Google Animal Behaviour Consultants and speak to somebody in your area as well as your vet. Good luck, Scotty

3
Posted by: scotty | 2011-05-19

Its a pleasure! It does sound as if there is an element of hierarchy there and if neutering does not help then do get in a professional. Good luck, thanks Scotty

Reply to scotty
Posted by: Vanessa | 2011-05-17

Both incidents happened when we weren''t home so I have no idea what triggered it. One is 2yrs and the other 4. The younger one is the one that started the fights according to my neighbor and he is also the one that is not neutered. We seperated them today because we didn''t want any injuries when we get home. The younger one has injuries to his ears and leg and the other one around his neck, face and sides. He came off the worst of the two. I''m hoping that if we have him neutered that it would resolve the problem - they have always gotten along brilliantly. But thank you so much for your advise!

Reply to Vanessa
Posted by: Dog Behaviour Expert | 2011-05-17

Reply to Dog Behaviour Expert