Question
Posted by: Leanne | 2010/07/05

Two male dogs

Hi Vet. My dog had puppies 8 weeks ago, three males. My boyfriend would like to take two of them for his home, there are no other dogs there, but we are just concerned about them both being males and fighting. What can we do so that they don''t fight when they get older. The mom is boxer cross boerbul and the dad is a thoroughbred Labrador. If we snip them, will that prevent them from fighting? Would you advise us to only keep one male and get a different female dog or will two brother be okay because they growing up together?

Hi Leanne

We have many clients who have kept male dog's from the same litter without any problem. If you want to keep the two dogs then you will have to seek the advice of a qualified dog trainer and you will have to get both dogs castrated to reduce hormonal influence on behaviour.

3
Posted by: CyberVet | 2010/07/06

Hi Leanne

Reply to CyberVet
Posted by: Chill | 2010/07/05

I tend to agree - two males together, specially when ''evenly matched'', are almost pre-programmed to compete with each other. There''s nothing much you can do to prevent this, although neutering would certainly be a step in the right direction. No guarantee, though. What does CyberVet say?

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Jane | 2010/07/05

I always learnt NEVER to take litter mates - snipped or not - they test each other to be boss. Can work, but mostly does not. Ideally one pup, and a while later another pups, so you have a age difference. Check with your Vet and also with a behaviourist.

Reply to Jane