Question
Posted by: dee | 2011/02/04

twins 3 years old wnat a dog

DEAR DR WHAT IS A GOOD FAMILY DOG TO GET MY TWINS THEY WILL BE 3 IN APRIL ONE THAT IS PLAYFUL AND WATCHFUL AND NOT DANGEROUS TO KIDS PLEASE CAN YOU HELP THANK YOU

A couple of breeds spring to mind immediately - Labrador Retriever , Golden Retriever , Beagles. Alot of problems can be avoided by attending puppy training , regular exercise and good socialization. Genetics does play a role but a lot of a dog's personalities depends on us !!

13
Posted by: Big dog lover | 2011/02/13

To Fergus - I don''t blame U for your comments as U obviously have no knowledge about Bullmastiffs or Bouviers. I can assure U that in spite of their size both breeds make fabulous family dogs + both are very good with children. We have had 2 Bullmastiffs - both show dogs + have ordered 1 from a breeder 4 later on in the year. Both breeds Bullmastiff + Bouvier r very family orientated but like I said the Bouvier does need a lot more excercise. Our friend''s Bouviers (also show dogs)r so protective of the children U have to see it to believe it. Like I said neither breed is overy agressive - because of their size they dont have to be.

Reply to Big dog lover
Posted by: Star | 2011/02/08

We got our Labrador when our twins were 2,5years old. We got him as a pup from the SPCA and from day 1 he has been so into the twins, gentle, playfull. The twins gave him more than enough excercise and would even help us out in those dull moments when they run away from, you know what I mean, he would just block them off so we could catch up, very entertaining.
As for the jack russel, when they are maybe bigger, yes, but like the other say, puppy with the twins, scratching and biting (playfully) will maybe not go down so well with the twins at this age.

Reply to Star
Posted by: Cat Lady | 2011/02/06

I am with Chill and Fergus her 100%. If you have twins you do not have the time to exercise a dog uless you also have nannieswho can loo after the twins whilst you walk them.

Reply to Cat Lady
Posted by: Fergus | 2011/02/06

Good grief is all I can say.
Someone with seemingly little dog experince being adviced to get a Bullmastiff or a Bouvier? For their little kids to play with?
Whats wrong with getting a rescued Maltese or something?
Some very good advice on here intersperced with some really lousy and unrealistic reccomendations if you ask me.
An other thing that is interesting is how much can 3 year olds be insisting on a dog surely it is the parents decision and it is made based on their wishes and circumstanses and what they can afford etc etc etc specially if they are not used to dogs in the first place.

Reply to Fergus
Posted by: CyberVet | 2011/02/06

Reply to CyberVet
Posted by: Big dog Lover | 2011/02/05

A lot depends on the amount of space U have + the time U have to train + excercise a dog. A female Bullmastiff pup should grow up into a good family dog. They r very good with kids + become very protective without being overly aggressive. They are also " rustig"  + don''t demand a lot of excercise. If U have a lot of time to excercise then a Bouvier is well worth considering. They r mad about kids + make marvelous protective family dogs but they are more active than Bullmastiffs + need a lot more excercise. We''ve had 2 Bullmastiffs over the years + friends of ours with 3 kids have 2 Bouviers. Both are great breeds to have in a home with kids.

Reply to Big dog Lover
Posted by: Outsider | 2011/02/05

If you do get a dog for your twins, you should get them from puppy stage so that they can grow up with the kids, that way they will know the limits of each other etc.

if you get a grown dog from a kennel such as spca etc. be careful as the dog will be use to the previous owners lifestyle which may conflict with yours.

i took in a stray german shepherd cross probably at about 6 months or so and she landed up being the most beautiful animal anyone could ask for yes they grow into largish animals but they can be putty in your hands, ours slept with my daughter and was very protective over her and I, what a beautiful natured animal.

So maybe consider a one of those if you have a nice big back yard etc and are committed to having an animal as they are for approximately 14 years going to be a part of your life.

Reply to Outsider
Posted by: Outsider | 2011/02/05

Reply to Outsider
Posted by: Red | 2011/02/04

Jack Russels may be cute, but they need a lot more exercise than their size indicates. They are also highly intelligent, and get bored easily. I''m not a fan - they often seem to snap at people, probably because of not getting enough exercise, etc.

Why not contact an animal shelter and ask them if they have a dog that was maybe given up because the owners moved or something, but that is used to kids &  is well-trained. Believe it or not, this is often the case (not all shelter dogs are abused or ill-behaved) - and the shelters, like DARG in Cape Town, tend to know the animals well. Look for a shelter that fosters animals out, so that they are socialised and the people who foster them are familiar with their personalities.
Getting an adult dog that is used to a family and has been potty-trained, socialised, etc, is probably a far better option for you than a puppy in your case.

What''s more, you''ll be giving a home to an animal that needs one and teaching the kids the value of an animal that isn''t necessarily a pedigree or whatever, but that will give you as much love and happiness.

Reply to Red
Posted by: Chill | 2011/02/04

While some dog breeds definitely make better pets than others, their temperament are largely determined by their upbringing, training and socialisation.

If you are not experienced dog-owners, then I might suggest you wait a bit - those twins are probably enough of a handful without having to rear a puppy, and they are too small to know how to handle a dog. People forget that raising a puppy is quite a bit of work.

Reply to Chill
Posted by: Kate | 2011/02/04

I have 2 JRT''s and am their biggest fan but I would not get them for kids that young.
I am guessing you are not used to having dogs so please think carefully about getting a dog.
It requires puppy socialisation classes, regular walks if not daily walks as dog cannot just be left to its own devices 90% of the time and be a good, playful, watchful dog.A puppy is also going to jump, scratch and even bite until taught not to and with kids this young it is going to be a handful.
Please take my suggestions as just that and not a lecture.
I unfortunately get to see the consequences of getting a pet for the kids and it ends up being to much for the parents to cope with.

Reply to Kate
Posted by: Schnoodle | 2011/02/04

A golden retriever...or a schnoodle :-)

Reply to Schnoodle
Posted by: jr | 2011/02/04

If you want a playful dog, and watchful and not dangerous, get a jack russel terrier. They are the most loveable and playful puppies and they are loyal. But that is just me. I am a JRT fan, I have one, they are stunning. My friend recently got their first puppy as well, a JRT and both his children are scared of dogs (one is 6 the other is 2) and according to him, a match made in heaven.
Good luck finding the right one for your family.

Reply to jr