Posted by: MOONSTONE | 2009-04-01

Im 29 years old and have a 3 year old son. The first time i fell pregnant it was really soon, I wasnt even off the pil for a full month and I was pregnant. We want to try for a second baby now, but Im scared of having twins. On my father' s side my grandmother and my aunt are part of sets of twins. On my mom' s side there' s nothing and also nothing on my husband' s side. What are my chances of having twins now? Thank you.

Dear Moonstone

As you have a strong family history of twins then there is a high chance of you also having twins in your pregnancies. There is usually nothing that you could do to avoid twinning however the use of fertility tablets should therefore be avoided if you want to decrease the potential chance of twins.

Answered by: Dr Y.M. Dasoo