Question
Posted by: Guji | 2010/01/14

Twin Pregnancy TOP performed by my gynae

Evening Doc 
I' m still not in a great mood but I felt I should get your opinion as a doctor about what happened to me on the 9th January 2010.I was 19 weeks pregnant with twin boys who were in different sacks &  at the early hours of Saturday morning of the 9th January 2010 I went to the bathroom cos you know how often pregnant women visit the bathroom a&  I went back to sleep.A minute after I felt something wet coming out &  I had thought it was my urine but NO my water had already broke but only one sac.I called my friend to come take me to hospital bcos my partner was out of Johannesburg &  I was alone at the time &  she came.I then called my gynae in the mean time &  the hospital that I was on my way.When my doctor got there he told me that if my water broke there' s nothing he could do but terminate my pregnancy but I said lets see the sonar 2 check how the babies are &  my water kept on dripping until 3pm of the 9th January without him doing anything.He then told me he' ll c me the next day &  there was nothing coming out the next day.He neva took me 4 a sonar still &  I requested it once more &  he asked 1 of the nurses 2 book it 4 me at the clinic &  I went &  the doctor who performed the sonar told me that the other twin had all the water in the sac with no problems &  the other twin' s water was not enough anymore.He said we don' t have 2 worry that much about it the was heartbeat which didn' t give us any worries &  I told him my gynae was worried about the infection going in as the water had already broke.I told my doctor &  he put me on an anti biotic 4 two days &  on monday the 11th January contractions started coming until Tuesday the 12th Jan where the doctor decided that the report he received 4rm the doctor said all the water had come out which was a different story 4rm mine &  he put 2 tablets that doctors use to termincate pregnancies.The report 4rm the Ultrasound of the Pelvis reads as follows -NORMAL AMNIOTIC FLUID IN THE MORE SUPERIORLY SITUATED TWIN PREGNANCY IS NOTED.THERE IS A REDUCTION IN LIQUOR IN THE MORE INFERIOR SITUATED FOETUS.NO FURTHER ABNOMARLITY IS NOTED.NO PLACENTA PRAEVIA COULD BE DEMONSTRATED. I asked the doctor if he can' t do something for the other twin &  he said I could still miscarry that' s why the TOP was performed, I' m so devastated where I am. PLEASE ADVICE BCOS I' M NOT SURE WHO' S RIGHT OR WRONG HERE OR MAYBE I' M OVERREACTING.Hope 2 hear 4rm u soon.

When the waters break so early, the chances of going into preterm labour or getting an infection are very high. If the uterus starts contracting, there isn't really a way of delivering the one baby and not the other, so both are likely to be lost. Also if infection gets to the one sac it is likely to spread to the other. Thus the fact that one sac had normal liqour does not really change the situation. Try to acpt the unfortunate loss.

2
Posted by: Guji | 2010/01/18

Thanx doc for the advice, I wanted an answer like the 1 u' ve just provided bcos my gynae was not clear enough.

Reply to Guji