Question
Posted by: Sarah | 2010/12/06

Twiggy to Oros Girl

I am 45.I have been on cortisone for asthma since I was 18 months old.Prednisone, injections, inhaler.I used to do modelling and was stick thin.Now I am fat, BMI over 38.Happened in the last 4 years.I used to exercise a lot but I hurt my ankle/back so no go for the moment.Very unfit.I am tall so I only look about 12kg overweight but I have 31kg to lose!I am on Glucophage.Nothing seems to work.Slimming clubs hear about the cortisone and insulin resistance and just sort of say how I will struggle.I''m despondent.Dietician gave me a diet a starling would be hungry on.My GP and I work very hard to keep me off Prednisone/injections.Managed 9 months without one.Pls tell me who to go to.I have wasted thousands of rands.

Expert ImageEating Disorders Expert

Hi Sarah,
I'm really sorry to hear how you are struggling and it sounds like you are not quite sure where to turn next. Although your question is likely wanting me to help you with an "obesity" issue, my forum only responds to questions relating to eating disorders and obesity issues on an emotional level. Although I sense you distress, you are more upset by your difficulty in not being able to reduce your weight due to your current medication. What I suggest you do is consult with an endocrinologist who specialises in obesity and weight management. Please email me where you live and I might be able to direct you to someone specific.
Regards,
Graham

2
Posted by: Sarah | 2010/12/13

Hi Graham

I think I have developed an eating disorder in fact.
I have tried every diet except the ones where you take pills and injections, I have Asthma and drug reactions/allergies besides which I don''t think that is the way to do it. I crave carbs and salt incredibly and sometimes I definitely overeat. Or eat too little. I think I will go and see an endocrinologist, I know the one in my area (know of him). I don''t know to what extent the meds can actually be making me keep on weight or how hard it will actually be to lose it. I don''t think going to a psychologist will help much either because I think it is something more physical. I just feel totally defeated. When I was modelling we ate nothing (in my opinion models just do not eat having been one no matter what they say). For all I know I messed up my metabolism then and it has just been compounded with the cortisone and the now lack of substantial exercise. I ate so erratically despite my best efforts and then bing or starve. I definitely have a problem. So off to the endocrinologist and if he says differently I will take it from there. I can control most things with discipline so I find it frustrating that I have this problem. I never ever though I could be fat. I am avoiding social occasions as a result. As I type this I am wondering if a psychologist should not in fact be my first stop?

Reply to Sarah
Posted by: Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert | 2010/12/11

Hi Sarah,
Regards,
Graham

Reply to Eating Disorders and Obesity Expert