Question
Posted by: Ilze | 2009-09-04

Tuna in oil or water?

I really enjoy canned tuna but I' m never sure of which one to buy, the one in vegetable oil or brine? You would normally think that the water one would be better, but I' m sure I heard somewhere that these usually contain a lot of sodium, so are not necessarily the best option?
Thank you!

Dear Ilze
The tun canned in brine has a lower energy content, because the tuna canned in oil will usually add extra energy via the oil trapped between the fish flakes. You can, however, rinse both types of tuna in fresh water over a sieve which will effectively remove most of the salt and the oil.
Enjoy