Question
Posted by: Pat | 2008/08/20

Tumour detected in colon

We have just been told that a tumour was found during a colonscopy. we are waiting the details for how bad it is. My dad was admitted due to passing blood and not experienced any other symptoms previously. He was passing blood for a few hours before being admitted and this stopped only for a short time before the colonscopy took place on the second day after being admitted. The blood started again after the colonoscopy. Based on the above, please can you provide some view on what to expect and how far this could be. Note none of his family have had this before

Hi Pat
I can't give you an idea of how bad it is only on the info you gave. The staging of colon cancer depends on the biopsy - what kind of tumour it is, how deep it infiltrated through the colon, and whether there are metastasis to the lymphglands in the area. They usually do the staging of the cancer after removing the affected area of colon. If caught early, colon cancer can be removed 100% (cured). If it has spread through the wall of the bowel or to the lymph glands, the patient may need chemotherapy.