Posted by: cc | 2009-08-24

tummy trouble

I have started running a few months ago- and already done a few 21km and a 28km! I enjoy it very much! Only problem is that after the races my tummy starts to cramp and is painful for a day or that normal? During a race I would drink water and coke and use vooma sachets (usn).

Hi Cc

It's certainly not normal, no. Not everyone suffers from cramps. I wonder if you might not be drinking too much, or taking in too much sugar when you run. Depends how much coke and vooma you are drinking. maybe you need to experiment with the different energy gels, and maybe even try none during a race, drinking only coke and water. Then try to change how much coke you drink compared to water. The answer almost certainly lies in the fluid or energy intake, so you just need to see what works for you. Unfortunately, there is no right or wrong, rather what works for each person, which is why good, old-fashioned trial and error is the way to solve this.